Tawa Pulao, Indian street style fried rice made on a Flat Frying Pan/large tawa on a high flame using lots of veggies and leftover rice.
It is a great mix of spices and veggies along with leftover rice. Yes, this is a great recipe to use up your leftover rice and end up with a very flavorful dish! It a perfect vegan and gluten-free meal. There are so many ways to make fried rice. This is one of my favorite because it is so tasty and takes least amount of time and effort. All I do is saute whatever veggies I have and spices. cook it on high flame, add leftover rice and boom. You have tawa pulao ready in minutes.
The secret to this recipes unique flavor is Pav Bhaji masala. Yes, I use pav bhaji masala along with some other spices and it brings out very unique flavor! This is great for one of those busy nights or lunch box options. This makes a great meal prepping/planing dishes as well! Go light on spices if you are making it for the kids. Serve it with yogurt to tame the spices down. This crunchy veggie yogurt raita goes well with it too!
If you end up making it and liking it, tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots. I would love to see your recreation of this deliciousness.
Tawa Pulao – Fried Rice on Flat Frying Pan
- 3 cup Cooked Rice leftover cooked rice is preferred
- 1 cup Sliced Onions
- 1 cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Chopped Tomatoes
- ½ cup Boiled Green Peas
- ¼ cup Boiled Chopped Carrots
- ¼ cup Boiled Chopped String Beans
- 1 cup Cubed Boiled Potatoes
- 1½ tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Chopped Serrano Pepper
- 2 tsp Salt Or as per taste
- 2 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Peanut Oil any oil with high smoke point works
- 3 tbsp Amul Butter any salted butter should work
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ cup Chopped Cilantro
- ¼ cup Chopped Scallions
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- Heat up oil and 2 tbsp butter in a large flat frying pan. Once butter is melted, add in cumin seeds. Once cumin seeds start to fragrant, Saute sliced onions, minced garlic and chopped serrano peppers on high flame. Saute for couple of minutes.
- Add chopped bell pepper to the translucent onions and saute for couple of minutes on high flame.
- Add tomatoes to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes on high flame.
- Add boiled potatoes, peas, carrots, string beans. Saute for 3-4 minutes on high flame.
- Add all the spices and mix well along with 1 tbsp butter. Mix well.
- Add cooked rice and mix it again carefully making sure the rice does not break.
- Cook it for 3-5 minutes on high flame mixing couple of times carefully making sure the rice does not break and heats up all the way through.
- Turn off the heat, garnish it with chopped cilantro and scallions.
- Add lime juice and mix well. It is ready to serve!