String Bean Chickpea Pulao
String Bean Chickpea Pulao – mildly flavored rice with much needed fiber and protein.
Rice is hands down one of the most comforting and satisfying foods of all time. However its hard to consume just plain rice for many health reasons. That is why I like to add some fiber and protein to rice to make it healthy meal. And when it is paired with warm Gujarati Kadhi, the comfort you get out of it is next level! Kadhi and rice is an ultimate comfort meal, isn’t it?!?!
This String Bean Chickpea Pulao one of those dishes my kids love and ask for over and over. It’s a big win in my household when one dish is good for every member of the family. I do make Kadhi spicy for adults to balance out the mild flavors of this pulao. Of course, my kids have their kadhi with less spices. This pulao is a great balanced rice dish with carbs, proteins and fats along with much needed fiber.
Is is super simple to make and comes together within just few minutes with only few basic ingredients. I like playing around with my rice dishes, and this is definitely one of our all time favorite. If you like peas over string bean, simply use peas! This easy and quick dish is also a good one to make ahead along with a big batch of GUJARATI KADHI. Make them both on weekend as part of your meal prep and enjoy it throughout the week.
If you love rice like I do, I highly suggest you try this simple pulao. I also have many other rice dishes on the blog like CHANA DAL PULAO, CHANA MASALA PULAO, VEG PULAO – INSTANT POT, TAWA PULAO etc. All these pulao dishes well with my comforting GUJARATI KADHI. If you end up making any the above and like it, either leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots. I would love to hear your feedback!
Happy and Healthy Eating!
String Bean Chickpea Pulao
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Whole Green Cardamom
- 3 Whole Cloves
- 3 Whole Black Pepeprcorn
- 1 small Cinnamon Stick
- 1½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ large Yellow Onions, sliced
- 1½ cup String Beans, chopped
- ¾ cup Uncooked Long Grain Basamati Rice
- 1½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garam Masala use ¼ tsp if your garam masala is very strong
- 15.5 oz Canned Chickpeas
- 2 cup Water use another ½ cup if needed
- 2 tbsp Finely Chopped Mint Leaves
- 1½ tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Raisins optional
- 2 tbsp Chopped Cashews optional
- Rinse and soak long grain basmati rice for 15-20.
- Heat up mix of oil and ghee in shallow wide heavy bottom pot.
- Add in whole spices and cumin seeds. Saute until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add in sliced onions along with ½ tsp salt. Mix and saute until onions are translucent.
- Mix in chopped string beans. Cover and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover and add in soaked long grain rice without any water. Saute rice for couple of minutes.
- Rinse and drain canned chickpeas. Add it to the pot.
- Add in 2 cups of water, another 1 tsp of salt and ½ tsp of garam masala.
- Add in finely chopped mint leave and a squeeze of lemon. Add in raisins and chopped cashews (optional).
- Make sure the water is upto rice level. If the water seems to be way less, you can add a bit more water. Once the water starts to simmer, cover the pot and cook on low/medium heat until all the water is evaporated and the rice is cooked.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff it up with a fork. Do not stir it to avoid breaking of the rice.
- Simply serve it with Gujarati Kadhi and side of papad!