Veg Pulao – Instant Pot
Perfectly fluffy Basmati rice cooked with whole spices and mixed veggies in an Instant Pot, super easy and quick Veg Pulao!
Rice is my weakness. That being said, If you give me simple steamed rice or any form of rice, I am the happiest person you can find! It is so comforting, filling and super easy to make. You cannot go wrong with just simple rice with dal or kadhi. This pulao is just one step beyond plain fluffy rice, yet amazingly delicious!
This Veg Pulao is made so quickly in an IP with few ingredients. All you need is ghee/oil, some whole spices, basmati rice, frozen mixed veggies and some dry fruits. Put these ingredients in an IP in certain order and your Veg Pulao is cooked in less than 5 minutes! However, If you do not have an Instant Pot, do not worry. The recipe include instructions for regular (Indian Style) pressure cooker as well! I like to serve this Veg Pulao with hot spicy Gujarati kadhi and sometime Puran Poli to add some sweetness to the meal. My kids absolutely love this combo! I hope yours do too!
Happy and Healthy Eating!
Veg Pulao – Instant Pot
- 1.5 cup Basmati Rice washed and soaked for 1 hour
- 3 cups Frozen Veggies peas, carrots, corn, string beans
- ½ cup Chopped Cashews
- ¼ cup Raisins
- 2 tbsp Ghee or oil if making it vegan
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Whole Peppercorns
- 1 stick Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pulao Masala or ½ tsp garam masala
- 2.5 cup Water
- Put Instant Pot on saute mode and add 2 tbsp ghee (or oil) to the pot. If using Indian style pressure cooker, heat 2 tbsp ghee (or oil) to the cooker.
- Add whole spices and cumin seeds along with bay leaf.
- Once the cumin seeds turn a little brown and start to fragrant, add soaked basmati rice without water.
- Saute rice for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add frozen veggies, salt, pulao masala (or garam masala) and water. Mix it well. Bring it to boil.
- Mix it well and close the lid. Secure the valve and put IP on rice setting. If you do not have rice setting, put IP on high pressure and cook for 4 minutes. Do natural pressure release for 5 minutes.
- If using regular Indian style pressure cooker, bring the water to boil and do 3 whistles. Once 3 whistles are done, take it off the heat and let the pressure release naturally all the way.
- Serve it hot with Gujarati kadhi or side of raita!