Smokey Halloumi Pineapple Burgers
Smokey Halloumi Pineapple Burgers – vegetarian burgers made with juicy smokey halloumi & pineapple simmered in chipotle adobo sauce, super green guacamole & topped with crunchy pickled coleslaw along with tartar sauce.
Would you believe me if I said, I’ve never had Halloumi cheese until I made these burgers?!?! Yup, that is one of the not so fun fact about me! I find this cheese kinda on salty side and has paneer like texture. It pairs so well with seasonal juicy sweet & tangy fruits. For example, pineapple or peach! I would see this pairing well with mangos too, I would have to give that combo a try! Pineapple & Halloumi combo is like match made in haven. And then you add some smokey heat to it, that takes this flavor bomb to the next level!
I learned to make spicy smokey chipotle sauce from a good friend of mine. It has just right amount of kick to it. Cooking Halloumi & pineapple with butter and chipotle sauce brings amazing flavors. You can certainly marinate both in this sauce and just grill it. Either make the burgers using it or simply top it with on choice of salad! To add some creaminess, I like spreading Super Green Guacamole. Top it with Pickled Coleslaw to add crunch and fiber. And balance the spicy smokey flavors out with Tartar sauce. These burgers are truly a vegetarian haven that is made with amazing flavors and texture!
These would make a great BBQ item and also great option to prep ahead! Make chipotle sauce, Super Green Guacamole and Pickled Coleslaw ahead of time. Marinate Halloumi (can be sub with panner) & pineapple in chipotle sauce ahead of time. And at your BBQ, simply grill them and have your friend & family make their own!! If you end up making it and liking it tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots or leave me a comment below!! I would love to hear your feedback!!
Happy& Healthy Eating!!
Smokey Halloumi Pineapple Burgers
- 8 Burger Buns of choice
- ¼ cup Tartar Sauce more or less based on preference
- 1 lb Halloumi Cheese (paneer would work well too!) cut in thick slices
- 1 Pineapple skin & center removed, cut in thick slices
- 2 tbsp Salted Butter
Chipotle Adobo Sauce
- 7 oz Goya Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic large cloves
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ Lime/Lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp Water more or less based on desired consistency
Make Super Green Guacamole (please use linked recipe) as mentioned in linked the recipe
Make Pickled Coleslaw (please use linked recipe) as mentioned in the linked recipe
Make Chipotle Sauce (recipe adopted from a good friend of mine!!)
- Blend all the ingredients listed under "Chipotle Adobo Sauce" with more or less water to get desired considering. You can either blend it to creamy consistency or leave a little chunky!
Cook/Grill Halloumi & Pineapple
- You can marinate sliced Halloumi & Pineapple in chipotle sauce for few hours. If marinated, you can either grill them on cook them on pan like instructed below.
- Melt 1-2 tbsp of salted butter in shallow wide non-stick pan. Add in ¼ cup (more or less) of chipotle sauce. Mix and simmer. Place sliced Halloumi in single layer (cook in batch if all slices cannot fit in one layer) and cook it on both sides on medium heat for few minutes. If using marinated Halloumi, use less chipotle sauce while sautéing.
- Melt 1-2 tbsp of salted butter in shallow wide non-stick pan. Add in ¼ cup (more or less) of chipotle sauce. Mix and simmer. Place sliced pineapple in single layer (cook in batch if all slices cannot fit in one layer) and cook it on both side on high heat for few minutes. If using marinated pineapple, use less chipotle sauce while sautéing.
- Toast choice of burger buns. Butter them if you like!
- Spread generous amount of Super Green Guacamole on both sides of all the buns.
- Top it with cooked/grilled Halloumi & then pineapple.
- Top it with pickled coleslaw & drizzle generous amount of tartar sauce.
- Enjoy it with crispy fries or side salad!!