Pickled Coleslaw is dairy free, tangy, spicy, crunchy goodness loaded with lot of flavored vegetables, perfect topping for summer time dishes!!
I love me some good homemade condiments. Especially when they are fuss free, quick and absolutely delicious. Just like this one! This pickled coleslaw comes together so effortlessly, and the taste is just on point. If you are following my recipes for some time now, you probably know my love for spices! I absolutely love incorporating some sort of spice in most of my dishes, of course not desserts LOL. This coleslaw has just right amount of kick with perfect crunch and tanginess. And that is the best part of this side!
When you think of coleslaw, first thing comes to mind is its creamy loaded with dairy kind of side. Honestly, I am not a big fan of creamy coleslaw. There is something about it that just throws me off. However I like all the veggies that a regular coleslaw has. Crunchy cabbage, carrots, radish etc are so easily found vegetables and hold their crunch very well. This coleslaw has onions too, because what’s life without onions, right?!?!
It has spices like fresh ginger, garlic, Serrano peppers, and freshly ground mustard seeds. Yes, you read that right!! Ground mustard seeds add that unique flavor to this delicious side dish and I am absolutely loving it! I have been obsessed with this pickled coleslaw. I have been making a batch every two weeks. It is so perfect for light summer time dishes like tacos, veggie burger toppings, lettuce burger topping, wraps, sandwiches etc.
I highly recommend you try it, I guarantee you’ll like it as much as I do!! Tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots if you end up making it and liking it! I would love to see your recreation of this goodie!
Happy & Healthy Eating!!
- 2 cup Thinly Shredded Cabbage
- 1 cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 cup Thinly Sliced Reddish
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 large Minced Garlic
- 1 Thinly Sliced Serrano Pepper
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard Seeds
- Place shredded cabbage, sliced onions, Shredded Carrots and Sliced Reddish in a wide bowl. Mix well.
- Mix water, apple cider vinegar, serrano, garlic, ginger and ground mustard seeds in a sauce pan. Mix well and bring to boil. Keep stirring it few times while it comes to boil.
- Pout the hot liquid over veggie mix. Carefully mix cover for 15-20 minutes, mix it couple of times while you let it sit.
- Store these veggies along with liquid in a mason jar, making sure the veggies are sitting under the liquid. It is ready to use once cooled down, however they taste better after letting them sit for 24 hours.
- Let it cool down completely before you refrigerate it. It stays good in the fridge for 3-4 weeks.