Pickled Onions – super easy and quick homemade condiment made with just few ingredients that takes any meal to the next level!
If you ever went to Indian restaurants in India, first thing you get is papad and a tray full of condiments. That tray full of condiments always has these gorgeous looking pickled onions, called sarke wale pyaaz!! These Pickled Onions are super easy and quick to make. They are absolutely delicious and takes any dish to the next level!
I have seen restaurants serving them whole or sliced. Whole pickled onions are small, baby onions, that are peeled and soaked into pickling solution. I like to slice them and pickle them since my kids also love the taste of it. It is easier for them to eat if they are sliced, and of course less waste if they only want a tiny amount. This condiment only requires few ingredients like vinegar, some spices, soft form of sweetener and salt. Simply bring pickling solution to boil and pour it over onions. That is literally all you need to do to make this deliciousness.
Now let’s talk about the gorgeous color of this goodie! They have this beautiful red/purple hint to it by onions’ natural color. Which is beautiful, however I like to throw in a tiny amount of raw beets to amp up its color to even brighter and bolder touch! I am sure you can tell by the pictures here!! This beautiful delicious condiment is perfect for any type of Indian food, avocado toast, sandwiches, wraps, burger, salad etc.
I hope you give this simple Indian condiment a try! If you end up making it and liking it, tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots. I would love to see your recreation of this goodie!
Happy & Healthy Eating!
- 1 extra large Red Onion thinly sliced
- ¼ Raw Beet Roots thinly sliced
- 5 Cloves
- 5 Whole Peppercorn
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Distilled Vinegar
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey
- 3 tsp Pink Salt regular salt works well too
- ½ tsp Dry Red Chili Flakes
- Slice onion and beet root as thin or thick you like. Place them in a 32 oz or bigger mason jar. It should fill up the whole 32 oz mason jar, you can press it down to make room if needed.
- Mix everything listed under "Pickling Solution". Bring it to boil and pour it over sliced onions and beet that is placed in the mason jar while it is hot.
- Make sure the onions are soaked all the way in the solution. If not, push it down with a fork till the solution comes to onions level.
- Let the jar come to room temperature. It is ready to serve once it is cooled down to room temperature. Close the lid and place it in the refrigerator. It stays good for up-to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.