Mom’s Spicy Khichdi
Mom’s Spicy Khichdi slathered in ghee, made with mix of rice and lentils along with lots of ginger, garlic, chilly and whole spices.
There are many different ways to make khichdi. Some types includes different combinations of rice and lentils, while some includes different combinations of spices and veggies. I personally make few different ways. One is plain khichdi just with rice, lentils, salt, turmeric and asafetida. Other is MASALA KHICHDI or SPICY KATHIYAWADI KHICHDI. And this particular version is spicy garlicky version that I learned from my mom. Honestly, any form of khichdi is a total comfort food.
I use mix of rice and split green mung dal for Mom’s Spicy Khichdi. Along with lots of ginger, garlic, chili and whole spices. This version is a fuss free version that is surely to hit the spot. Simply serve it with GUJARATI KADHI to make a comfort meal. When I feel a bit down or weather is gloomy, this khichdi comes to my mind immediately. You can either make it using Indian style pressure cooker or an Instant Pot. This one pot wholesome dish will surely to bring you all the comfort you need!
If you like khichdi but like to make it simple with lots of flavors, this is the one for you! Do me a favor and use your hand to eat this goodie, trust me it is the best way to enjoy the flavors. If you end up making it and liking it, tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots or leave me a comment below. I would love to hear your feedback!
Happy & Healthy Eating!
Mom’s Spicy Khichdi
- ½ cup White rice I like to mix some jasmine and basmati
- ½ cup Green Split Mung Dal
- 3 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Oil
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 pinch Hing/Asafetida
- 3 Whole Peppercorn
- 2 tsp Ginger & Thai Green Chili Paste use 1 tsp to make it less spicy
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Red Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala add less if your garam masala is very strong
- 2 cup Water
- Mix rice and dal in a big bowl. Wash them few times and soak them in warm water for 15-20 minutes.
- In an Indian style pressure cooker (or saute mode on Instant pot), add 2 tsp of ghee and 1 tsp of oil along with whole peppercorn and cloves.
- Once ghee and oil mix is hot, add mustard seeds and wait for it to pop.
- Once mustard seeds pop, add pinch of hing/asafetida.
- Add minced garlic, ginger chili paste and turmeric powder. Mix well and saute for few seconds on low/medium heat, making sure it does not burn!
- Add in soaked rice and lentil mix without water. Mix well.
- Add in 2 cups of water along with salt, red chili powder and garam masala.
- Mix well, bring it to boil. Add in another 1 tsp of ghee. Mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker/Instant pot. Do 3 whistles if using Indian style pressure cooker. OR cook on high pressure for 6 minutes in Instant pot. Let the pressure release completely in either type of pressure cooker.
- Once all the pressure is release, open the pressure cooker and simply serve it with more ghee and side of Gujarati Kadhi!