Chilli Paneer Spring Rolls
Extra crunchy air fried chilli paneer spring rolls loaded with spicy Indo-Chinese flavored paneer and tangy asian coleslaw.
My love for street style Indo Chinese food is so real! I mean from Veg manchurian, chilli paneer, hakka noodles, chilli mushrooms, gobi manchurain, to everything else!! I love American style Chinese food also, although for me it can use little more spices and tanginess. For example, the crispy veg spring rolls are so good, but I could use some kick to it!
So now think about combining crunchy spring rolls and street style chilli paneer. Yes, the combination of texture and the flavors is a bomb combo! And to top that, let’s make it healthy by air frying them instead of deep frying. I mean, you’re welcome! LOL
This dish makes a perfect appetizer. You can easily prep ahead by making the chilli panner filling. And have everything cut for the coleslaw. Making coleslaw ahead of time prob wont be a good idea, since it tends to loose moisture due to acidity and sodium. These can also be made ahead of time to freeze them. Pop them out of the freezer and air fry them. They come out really really crunchy and very satisfying!
These can be made dairy-free by using extra firm tofu instead of paneer! Pair these healthy appetizer/side with some tofu fried rice or hakka noodles. They would go so well with Veg Manchurian and white rice as well!! This is truly one of the best fusion appetizers of mine. They are incredibly flavorful and never fails to please the crowd! If you end up making it and liking it, tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots. I would love to see your recreation of this deliciousness.
Happy and Healthy Eating!
Chilli Paneer Spring Rolls
- air fryer
- 16 TYK Spring Roll Pastry thawed, ready to use
- 6 oz Paneer crumbled
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ cup Very Finely Chopped Yellow Onions
- ⅓ cup Very Finely Chopped Green Pepper
- ¼ cup Chopped White Part of Green Onions/Scallions
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- ½ Chopped Serrano/Jalapeño
- 1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt or as preferred
- 2 cup Thinly Shredded Cabbage
- 1 cup Grated Carrots
- ½ cup Chopped Green Parts of Green Onions/Scallions
- ½ cup Chopped Cilantro
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- ½ tsp Salt or as preferred
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
Prepare Chilli Paneer Filling
- Heat oil in a pan. Add minced garlic, grated ginger, chopped white part of scallions and chopped serrano/jalapeno to the oil
- Saute on medium heat till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Do no burn/brown it.
- Add chopped onions and green peppers to the pan. Saute on high/medium heat for couple of minutes, keeping them still crunchy.
- Add soy sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, tomato ketchup, salt and black pepper powder. Mix well.
- Add crumbled paneer and mix well. Turn the heat off and keep it aside.
Make the Asian Coleslaw
- Mix all ingredients listed under "Asian Coleslaw". Gently massage with your hands. Keep it aside.
Make the Spring Rolls
- For this step, the spring roll pastry should be thawed ahead of time. I like to take the package out of the freezer and keep it in the fridge over night. Take the package out of the fridge and let it sit outside for 30 minutes. Take it out of the package right before you are ready to make the rolls. Once you take it out of the package, keep it wrapped in a wet cloth or wet paper towel and work with one at a time.
- Place one sprint roll sheet on a flat surface. Fill each spring roll wrapper with 1-2 tbsp of coleslaw and 1 tbsp of chilli paneer mix. Placing the filling just below the center of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom corner/point over the filling and gently tuck under.
- Then fold both sides in and start rolling up tightly, not too tight that the wrapper cracks.
- Spread little water at the end of the unfolded corner using your finger to seal the wrapper. Place prepared spring roll under a wet cloth or wet paper towel so that they do not get dry.
- Repeat with remaining coleslaw, chilli paneer mixture and wrappers to make as many spring rolls as you can.
- Preheat air fryer on 390°F. Spray oil in the air fryer basket. Place prepared spring rolls in one single layer and spray oil on each of them. Do not over crowd the basket with rolls, air fry them in multiple batches if need be.
- Air fry them for 12-15 minutes, flipping and spraying rolls in the middle.
- If baking them, pre-heat over at 425°F. Brush rolls with some oil. Bake them for 20 minutes, turning them at 10 minutes mark. Or until they get crispy.
- If deep frying them, fry them in hot oil on medium heat on both sides until they get crispy all the way around.
- Serve them hot with mix of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce and hint of sesame oil.