Street Style Hakka Noodles
Vegan Street Style Hakka Noodles loaded with crunchy veggies and optional flavored tofu slathered in chili garlic Indo Chinese spices.
Hakka noodles are one the most popular and favorite Indo-Chinese street foods of India. Any where you go within India, you will surely find a stall in every neighborhood, making this street style goodie fresh in front of your eyes within minutes! The flavors are loaded with fresh ginger, garlic and chilis including some basic Indo-Chinese sauces. This dish is full of fresh crunchy veggies like onions, peppers, carrots, cabbage etc.
It can be made with any source of protein and my take on that is adding some flavored tofu to make it vegan/dairy-free. This tofu addition is completely optional if you want to just go with the authentic street style hakka noodles. There are some key pointers mentioned in the recipe to give this dish a perfect noodle consistency. I urge you to read through all the steps carefully to get the best outcome and a secret ingredient!
These noodles are great to make some air fried spring rolls as well!! Wrap them in room temp TYJ Spring Roll Pastry wrapper. Preheat air fryer on 390°F. Spray oil in the air fryer basket. Place prepared spring rolls in one single layer and spray oil on each of them. Do not over crowd the basket with rolls, air fry them in multiple batches if need be. Air fry them for 12-15 minutes, flipping and spraying rolls in the middle. You can bake them if you do not an air fryer! Check out Chili Paneer Spring Roll recipe for how to make them in detail!
This is definitely one of my very favorite bullet proof recipes! I hope you try it and like it as much as my family and friends do. If you end up making it and liking it, tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots. I would love to see your recreation of this deliciousness!
Street Style Hakka Noodles
- 8 oz GOURMET MASTER INSTANT NOODLES, Ching's veg noodles
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion sliced
- 1 Medium Green Pepper sliced
- ¼ Medium Sized Cabbage sliced/shredded
- 2 cup Shredded Carrots
- ¼ cup Chopped White Part of Scallions
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Grated Ginger
- 3 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 2 tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ Chopped Serrano/Jalapeno
Flavored Tofu (Skip this is not adding tofu to your noodles)
- 12 oz Extra Firm Tofu
- 3 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- ¼ cup Chopped Cilantro
- ¼ cup Chopped Green Part of Scallions
Prepare Flavored Tofu (Skip this is not adding tofu to your noodles)
- Take tofu out of the box and wrap it in couple of paper towels for anywhere from 30-40 minutes. Place a Weight on the wrapped tofu. Your weight should be heavy enough to press down evenly across the top of the tofu, but not so heavy so as to cause the tofu block to crumble.
- Once the extra water if gone from the tofu, cut them in long stripes or cube and saute them in 3 tbsp of oil on medium heat until they get golden brown and somewhat crispy, tossing and turning them every few minutes. Be careful while tossing and turning so it does not crumble.
- Once tofu stripes/cubes are golden brown on each side, add dark soy sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, tomato ketchup, salt and black pepper powder. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Prepare noodles as per package instructions. If using the same brand as I have linked, boil water with 1 tsp of oil and 1 tbsp of oil. Once the water is boiling, add uncooked noodles to the boiling water. Using fork, slowly loosen up the noodles in the water without breaking them. Cook them on boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain it in a strainer and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking process. Keep them in the strainer and drizzle 1 tbsp of oil to cold cooked noodles to prevent them from sticking with each other. Let the water drain out completely.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a wok or deep wide heavy bottom pan.
- Add minced garlic, grated ginger, chopped white part of green onions and chopped serrano/jalapeno to the oil
- Saute on medium heat till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Do no burn/brown it.
- Add sliced onions and carrot. Cook them on high heat for couple of minutes, keeping them crunchy and some what charred.
- Add sliced green peppers and cabbage. Cook them on high heat for couple of minutes, keeping them crunchy and some what charred.
- Add dark soy sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, tomato ketchup, salt, chaat masala and black pepper powder. Mix well.
- Add cooked noodles and toss them with saucy veggies using couple of forks.
- Once noodles are all mixed well with the veggies and coated evenly with sauces, take it off the stove.
- Add fresh cilantro, scallions and prepared tofu (if using any). Toss everything well without making it mushy.
- Serve them hot!