Tikka Masala Sauce
Classic Tikka Masala Sauce is a tomato based spicy, tangy, creamy gravy made with traditional Indian spices and can be used with any protein and vegetables!
Tikka Masala Sauce is the king of Indian curries. This sauce is a base of many classic curries like paneer tikka masala, cauliflower tikka masala, mushroom tikka masala etc. This sauce is super versatile and can be used with any vegetables, protein, as pasta sauce, as pizza sauce, for shakshuka, I mean options are endless.
I love making this sauce in a big batch and use it as I go. It tastes the best with marinated paneer. I love using it to make spicy tikka masala mac and cheese. This makes a perfect based for pizza, check out this Tandoori Paneer Naan Pizza. I love using this sauce for pizza and top it with marinated paneer. One of my favorite ways to use this sauce is for Tikka Masala Shakshuka!!
This is semi-one-pot sauce, since it requires one pot and blender/food processor. The flavors in this sauce is just AMAZING!! I really want to say this is probably the best tikka masala flavors I have had so far!! I know pretty bold statement, right?!?! Well I do strongly feel what I said!!
I highly recommend you making this sauce in a big batch, as part of your meal prep and use it for many different recipes as I mentioned above. This sauce can freeze well too! If you end up making it and liking it, tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots. I would love to see your recreation of this deliciousness!
Happy & Healthy Eating!
Please find a YouTube video here!
Tikka Masala Sauce
Whole Dry Spices
- 4 Clove
- 4 Whole Peppercorn
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Dry Whole Red Chilis
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 tbsp Amul Butter or salted butter
- ½ Yellow Onion large
- 3 clove Garlic large
- 2 inch Ginger Root
- 1 Serrano
- 4 Tomatoes pureed (should make about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup Tomato Paste
- 2 tsp Tandoori Masala
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Cumin Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Salt
Ingredients for Tempering the Gravy
- 2 tbsp Amul Butter or salted buter
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- Pure onions, garlic, ginger and serrano. Keep it aside. It should make about 1½ cup of pure.
- Heat 4 tbsp of butter, add whole dry spices listed under "Whole Dry Spices" ingredients to butter. Saute till cumin seeds start to turn fragrant and deepen in color.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and serrano pure to the pot along with 1 tsp salt.
- Keep sautéing on medium heat until most of the moisture from onions puree evaporates.
- Add pureed tomatoes and tomato paste to the pot. Mix well and cook it on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Add all tandoori masala, garam masala, cumin coriander powder, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder and 1 tsp of salt to the pot. Mix well.
- Keep cooking on medium heat until most of the moisture evaporates and butter starts to separate. Keep stirring every few minute so that it does not stick to the bottom or burn.
- Turn the heat off, discard the whole dry red chili, cinnamon stick and black cardamom from the gravy.
- Blend the gravy to smoother paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of butter in the pot, as soon as butter melt without getting too hot, add kashmiri red chili powder and garam masala to the butter.
- Stir it and immediately add the blended gravy to the pot, making sure the kashmiri red chili powder and garam masala does not burn.
- Mix well. Add heavy cream and water. Mix well and simmer on low/medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add more heavy cream and/or water to get desired consistency. Taste it and add more salt/spices if you need.
- Rub kasuri methi between your palms and add it to the gravy. Add honey to the gravy. Mix well.
- Simmer for another 2-4 minutes. Take it off the stove.
- Use it for any type of protein, paneer, vegetables or even as pasta sauce!!