Garlicky Sorghum Popcorn
Garlicky Sorghum Popcorn – Sorghum Popcorn/Jowar Dhani spiced up with basic spices and lot of crunchy garlic, peanuts and papad.
Sorghum Popcorn, known as jowar dhani is one of the very popular snack around many parts of India. It is light, airy and healthy snack option. I grew up eating it two different ways. One is this spicy garlicky way and the other is in ladoo form made with ghee and jaggery. If you know me, you know by now how much I love spices. Hence this version is my favorite version!!
It is a tradition in my household to make this simple yet delicious snack during Holi (festival of colors) time!! Being away from home, I do miss celebrating our Indian festivals but simple foods like this is surely to bring me lot of comfort. This dish is super simple to make with just few ingredients! All you need is, lots of garlic, some basic spices, peanuts, dalia and papad along with Sorghum Popcorn. My mother likes to add a hint of powdered sugar, but I like it without. I have mentioned the amount of sugar in the recipe below if you like to add some!
I am one of those people who can live off of desi crunchy spicy snacks, and this is an absolute favorite. If you are like me, you are surely to like it along with my Cereal Chevdo & Poha Chevdo. If you end up giving this Garlicky Sorghum Popcorn a try and like it, tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots. I would love to hear your feedback!!
Happy & Healthy Eating!!
Garlicky Sorghum Popcorn
- 7 oz Sorghum Popcorn jowar dhani available at Indian grocery stores
- ¼ cup Peanut Oil or any other oil
- 10 Curry Leaves
- ½ cup Raw Peanuts
- ¼ cup Minced Garlic
- ⅓ cup Roasted Split Chickpea dalia
- 6 Roasted Papad
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chili Powder more for extra spicy
- 1 tsp Powdered Sugar this is optional, I prefer not adding it while my mother like to add!
- Saute raw peanuts in oil inside heavy bottom wide pan.
- Once peanuts are ¾th way done, add minced garlic and saute it on low heat until golden brown. Take your time with this step so garlic gets crunchy without getting too brown or burn.
- Add roasted split chickpeas (dalia) and curry leaves. Mix and saute for another minute on a low heat.
- Mix in salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Mix quickly while keeping the heat low.
- Immediately add Sorghum Popcorn/jowar dhani. Mix well. Keep roasting on low heat while tossing frequently until the popcorn is not sticking to your teeth while chewing. That is an indication of well roasted dhani/popcorn.
- Turn the heat off, crumble roasted papad and powdered sugar (if using any). Mix well to spiced up Sorghum Popcorn. Enjoy it with cup of chai! It can be stored in airtight container at room temperature upto 2 weeks!