Peri Peri Tofu Wings
Peri Peri Tofu Wings – peri peri flavored baked crispy tofu wings made with just 5 ingredients that is perfect for quick bites or as a salad topper.
Many people do not like to eat tofu because they find it bland. I do not blame them as it is quit boring tasteless food item out there. However you cannot deny the fact that it is a great source of plant protein especially for vegetarian/vegan diet. I used to hate it but then I started playing with different ways to eat it. This version i s by far one of the easiest and yummy version. I have made this few times for game nights to balance out other goodies we like to enjoy. It adds that much needed protein to game night spread with amazing flavors.
This quick appetizer requires only 5 ingredients and comes together with no fuss. I like to coat tofu strips/wings with peri peri sauce to add flavors and with panko to add crunch. I end up baking them in a big batch but you can certainly air fry them. Pan frying them with decent amount of oil is also a great option if you are okay using a little more oil. Pan fried version is definitely better with texture as it ends up using more oil. Pair it with greek yogurt tzatziki or ranch dressing. It honestly is one of the best high protein appetizers. If you end up with leftovers, simply use it as a salad topper, it goes so well with caesar salad.
If you are looking for game night food ideas or just any finger foods for your parties, this one is definitely a very strong candidate! I also love making FLAMIN HOT BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER BITES, CAULIFLOWER MANCHURIAN ON THE BED OF ASIAN COLESLAW, and BEST SPICY QUESO as some game night appetizers. If you end up making these Peri Peri Tofu Wings or any of the above, leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @myvegetarianroots. I would love to hear your feedback!
Happy & Healthy Eating!!
Peri Peri Tofu Wings
- 18 oz Firm or Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 cup Seasoned Panko 4C Bread Crumbs Seasoned Panko
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Corn starch
- ¾ cup Choice of Store bought Peri Peri Sauce ½ cup to coat tofu before baking, ¼ cup after baking
I like Trader Joe's peri peri sauce
- Remove tofu from the package. Discard the water. Cut tofu evenly in 12-16 thick slices.
- Place each slice next to each other on a cotton clothe in line making sure each slice is evenly tall. Wrap clothe over the slices.
- Place cutting board on top of the wrapped tofu sliced and an heavy object (e.g Mortar) right in the middle of that cutting board for 25-30 minutes. so the weight is evenly distributed over all the tofu slices.
- Place corn starch in one bowl, mix peri peri sauce in one bowl, and place panko in a plate mixed with 2 tbsp of EVOO . Pre-heat oven on 420° F.
- After 25-30 minutes, first dust a tofu slice with corn starch, then dip it in peri peri & EVOO mix, then coat it well with panko then place it on a baking sheet on top of parchment paper. Repeat this step for each tofu slice.
- Bake the tofu slices/wings for upto 30 minutes. Turn them half way through. You can bake it longer if you wish to crisp it more, be sure to not burn them.
- Once baked, place them in a big bowl. Toss them with ¼ cup of peri peri sauce.
- Garnish it with fresh cilantro and serve it with side of tzatziki or ranch.